The Abergavenny Beats
Red Barn and Cadfor Fisheries
Situated just to the West of Abergavenny upstream of the Myther Bridge that links Abergavenny with the village of Llanfoist. Approximately 1.5Km of fishing on the north bank (known as Red Barn) , with a further 500m on the southern bank (known as Cadfor Farm).
There are 11 named locations to fish from, each of which is described below and located with a What3Words link.
1.Stumpy: An old croy just sticks out of the gravel at the top of the beat. It produces the occasional fish off the end of it but it is not easy to cover and is now rarely fished. What3Words location for south bank.
2.Barrels: Some concrete filled drums were placed on the bottom of this glide 20 or so years ago. They initially produced several fish but then were buried under gravel. In 2012 they were exposed again and the pool started to hold fish once more. What3Words location for south bank.
3. Top Pipe: A great pool for Salmon & Sewin. Currently only fishable from the Cadfor side. Worth fishing right the way down. In order to cover it properly you have to expect to lose some kit in the far bank Willows. What3Words location for south bank.
5. Monument: The neck produces fish in low water. The middle & tail are prone to gravel movement but are always worth a cast. What3Words location.
6. Upper Flats: A couple of deep holes under that left bank hold the odd fish. Better from the other side due to the high bank. What3Words location.
7. Croy Pool: A very productive pool. Start 10 yards above the croy and fish it right through to the tail. The hotspots are just above the croy, 10-20 yards below it and then where the current starts to glide. What3Words location.
8. Cottage Pool: Fishes in all but very low water. Start at the apex of the corner and get your lure right under the far bank. You can find fish anywhere in the next 300 yards. In high water fish are taken just off the left bank. The last 50 yards have improved in recent years. What3Words location.
9. Lucky Pool: Another pool that is changing. The main flow is productive but watch out for the snags on the bottom. Can be fished from the gravel bar at the top but it is the section which runs along the eroding bank that produces the most fish. What3Words location.
11. The Pipe: After running up from the bridge fish pause on the far side around the area where the pipline crosses the river. Best suited to the Spinner and you need to land it tight to the far bank. There is a mid-river lie just above the tail, but fish hooked here always seem to head back to under the Bridge. What3Words location.